I love cheese. I love beer. They pair great together! A couple of weeks ago I was craving the pimento cheese recipe that used to be served at O'Henry's Coffees in Homewood, AL. It is super simple, but super yummy. So, I decided to make it and take a stab at making my first Beer Cheese Soup; a favorite from childhood. I remember going to Bennigan's back in the day and always insisting on having the Beer Cheese Soup with a Monte Cristo sandwich.
Ok, so this pimento cheese is great on sandwiches, with crackers, or just on a spoon!
-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
-1 cup mayo
-1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos
-garlic powder to taste
1. Mix everything together.
2. Taste, add more garlic powder if needed.
3. Spread onto bread.
4. Grill it
5. Eat it!
Beer Cheese Soup
-1 Tablespoon butter
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 onion, finely chopped
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-1 can light beer (I used PBR)
-1 can chicken stock
-3 tablespoons cornstarch
-2 cups fat free half & half
-2-3 cups shredded cheeses
1. Melt butter in dutch oven, add onion, garlic, and worcesteshire. Saute.
2. Add beer, boil 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, bring back to boil. Lower to simmer.
4. Mix cornstarch with 3 Tablespoons water and set aside.
5. Add half & half and cheese. Stir constantly until cheese melts.
6. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until soup thickens.