Labels

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Merrilee Challis


Art of the Day
"Devil in the Wood"

Merrilee Challis is and has been for quite awhile now my favorite local artist. The ultra hip co-owner of Birmingham's bar/venue Bottletree creates whimsical paintings that I adore. Her color palette makes me swoon (filled with pastles, neutrals, and punches of bright colors throughout). Her imagery seems to often include a lot of woodland animals and insects combined with gorgeous organice shapes and often eerie figures.


"Veindeer"

"Skull Garden"

When I was in graduate school, I had the delightful experience of learning under her. She taught a figure drawing class I was enrolled in. A couple of years ago, I attended an "art in the park" event and ran into another old art professor-and fabulous artist-Doug Baulos. He is a good friend of Merrilee's and they often collaborate. I bought a piece by them that is hanging in my living room now (will post later). For now, check out these awesome pieces by Merrilee. And if you are interested in seeing more of her work, check out her website here.


**I don't know the title of this one, but I posted it anyway because I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment