Labels

Friday, July 30, 2010

The Birth of a Goddess

Art of the Day

The Birth of Venus by Italian Renaissance painter, Sandro Botticelli is by far my favorite painting...EVER! After I graduated from college I got the opportunity to visit Italy. Me and two of my friends backpacked for two weeks. I got to actually see the painting (which resides at the Uffizi gallery in Florence) and cross it off my "Things to do Before I Die" list. When I saw her, I cried. Not the bad kind of cry, but the joyous kind. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. I just couldn't leave the room where she lived. I wanted to stay with her always (or take her down and hang her in my house!)

I painted on an old window pane a contemporary version of the birth of a goddess. My painting is by no way comparable to Botticelli's and really it's like apples and oranges because they are so different. However, I did want to include my painting in this post because it was inspired by my love for the same mythological story that inspired Botticelli to create such a glorious masterpiece. My painting was made using acrylic paints and the shiny stuff you see is copper leafing.

No comments:

Post a Comment