Labels

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract



John got me some vanilla beans to bake with for my birthday. I have used them in cakes, breads, and candies. It was coming up on 3 months that I had gotten the vanilla beans. They say they will last a year, but I didn't want to risk wasting any, so I took half of what I had left and made some homemade pure vanilla extract. After you make it, you have let it sit for a month or so before you can use it. I can't wait. Best part, is this was so easy.

What you will need:
  • vodka
  • vanilla beans (3-4 per every 1 cup of vodka)
  • air tight glass jar
What to do:
  • Cut a slit under stem of vanilla beans down to the base (make sure it is still in tact).
  • Place cut vanilla beans in jar.
  • Fill jar with vodka (I used 2 cups, but you can cut that in half or double it depending on the size of your jar).
  • Close lid and shake!
Keep in a dark, cool place for around 2 months and then enjoy! Lasts for year.


No comments:

Post a Comment