Labels

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pecan Pralines


Recently I took a trip to New Oreleans, LA. Upon returning home, I had the intense desire to cook all things creole and to make some homemade pralines. So far I have tackled the pralines. I got some local cajun seasoning from a nifty cookbook and whathaveyou store called "Kitchen Witch." I am hoping it will guide me in the former soon.

Candy making is no joke folks. It takes a lot of precision and patience. So, don't feel bad if you don't get it right the first time...I didn't! The first time I made these they were a little runny and took forever to set. I also decided that including pecan halves as well as chopped pecans helps. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to make sure you stir the candy long enough before you add the pecans and portion out. The trick is looking for it to loose its sheen and lighten up in color and become more opaque.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons dark corn syrup
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
  1. Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan.
  2. Add the sugars, corn syrup, salt, butter and evaporated milk.
  3. Over medium heat, stir continuously until it comes to a boil.
  4. Continue to cook until it reaches 236 degrees F on a thermometer (I use a digital one, but if you have a candy thermometer that would be great!)
  5. Promptly remove from heat and let sit and cool for 10 minutes
  6. Add vanilla and beat with a spoon for approximately 3 minutes until it starts to thicken up and become lighter and less translucent.
  7. Add nuts and stir
  8. Use a spoon to portion out onto wax paper.
  9. Let dry/harden thoroughly before storing.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, those look deliciously gooey. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pralines up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete