Labels

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Insalata Caprese


Summer is in full fashion here in the south and the gardens are a'growin'! Sometimes you have more tomatoes than you know what to do with. What better way to use them than in a tomato salad. Great summer dish, and it is so delicious! So easy too. I first had a caprese salad when I was backpacking through Italy several years ago with a couple of my girlfriends. I love making it, because it reminds me of that trip and all the mouth-watering produce I devoured while I was there! If you don't have a garden, or don't have any tomatoes ripe enough yet, you do like I did and pick some up from your local farmer's market. For this recipe, I used a combo of yellow cherry tomatoes and big juicy red ones.

Ingredients:
  • Tomatoes (1-2 cups cherry or grape and 4 large)
  • Basil (about 10 big leaves)
  • 1 mozzarella ball
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
All you do is chop your cherry/grape tomatoes in half, chop the larger tomatoes and mozzarella into bite-size pieces, roll basil leaves and chop chiffonade style and add to tomatoes. Top off with a healthy drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment