Labels

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Go Away Birds!

Usually I am tickled to see lovely birds milling about my yard, but not recently. For the past couple of weeks, a huge swarm of birds takes flight each time I open my back door. Why? They are pillaging my lovely vegetable plants (mostly my heirloom tomatoes) and stealing fruit off of the vine as soon as they ripen. How sad to slowly tend and watch as a plant grows a lovely delicious food item only to have it stolen and pecked to death upon ripening.

So, I devised my plan (with advice from my friend Brady and a little internet research). Them birds aren't the smartest things and get spooked by shiny things. So, I got a large sheet of shiny mylar (silver on one side, gold on the other) and cut it into thin ribbons. Then I tied a couple of strips onto poles and put them in the ground all over the garden. The idea is that when the sun reflects the shiny mylar and it blows in the wind, it will scare off the birds. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing superb information. Your web site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and simply couldn’t come across. What an ideal site. vegetable plants

    ReplyDelete